In Defense of the December Birthday
December 16, 2015
“Let’s celebrate your birthday after the holidays, when everything calms down.”
“Oh, it’s your birthday too?”
“We can sing Happy Birthday to you along with all the other Holiday Songs.”
“With all the out-of-control consumerism this time of year, I just made a contribution to charity for your birthday.”
If you’ve heard any of these before, then chances are you’re a December baby. Granted, it’s tough for anybody to share that One Special Day of the Year with a twin brother or distant auntie. But the Sun? Savior? A four-week, inescapable bacchanal of stars, snow, and fa-la-la-la-latkes is not just a tough act to follow, it’s impossible. So, as they advise us in Minnesota, let’s just steer into the skid.
December birthdays are delightful because …
- There is always a party: extroverts can step into the already-twinkling spotlight and demand their due; shrinking violets can hide behind the tree and ponder the ambient joy in their heart.
- Stores are overflowing with merchandise and giant bows for gifts.
- New Year’s resolutions are just a few weeks away, so end-of-year indulgence is guilt-free!
- You have a ready excuse to excuse yourself from the awkward holiday party—not even Mr. Scrooge would deny the birthday girl her personal celebration plans.
- Not one, not two, but three gems are recognized as the December birthstone . That’s earrings, a necklace and bracelet. Or a set of all three for each stone!
- Grinches and grouches are grateful for the opportunity to extend good wishes to someone without running the risk of offending or supporting the “war on” whatever observance is being oppressed today.
And finally, December birthdays are like those of any other month: a chance to count all one’s blessings and be grateful for the opportunity to light one more candle, make a wish, and create your best, most distinctive self yet.Tags: Birthday, birthstone, Blue Topaz, celebrations, Ellen Hoffman Designs, Gifts, holiday, parties, shopping, Sleeping Beauty Turquoise, Tanzanite